Call Now

We are dedicated to helping our clients meet legal challenges through customized, workable solutions.

How do I get my fiancé into the United States?

On Behalf of | Sep 20, 2022 | Immigration And Naturalization

For reality TV lovers, 90 Day Fiancé is probably within their viewing rotation. This show centers on Americans looking to bring their foreign fiancés into the United States. The 90-day part refers to the K-1 nonimmigrant visa program.

Fiancé visas

If you are a U.S. citizen and have a fiancé who is not, you can file Form I-129F, which is the “Petition For Alien Fiancé.” This is step one on your K-1 visa journey, which is how Americans bring their foreign fiancés into the United States legally.

The 90-day requirement

Both you and your fiancé must marry within 90 days of your fiancé stepping foot on United States soil. In other words, once they pass through immigration at the airport, you have 90 days to marry. Moreover, that marriage must be valid in the state where it occurred, and you must have a genuine intent to live and build a life together.

After the 90 days

After you both marry within 90 days, that does not mean that your fiancé can now work. It only means they can stay in the United States legally. After the marriage though, your fiancé should file for lawful permanent resident status. Once your fiancé is approved, they will receive their Green Card, which means they can now work.


There are several requirements for the K-1 visa. First, you must be a U.S. citizen. Second, the marriage must occur within 90 days after the visa is approved. Third, the marriage must be legal, which means it must be legal in that state and you both must qualify to marriage, like you are not already married. Fourth, both you and your fiancé must have known each other for at least 2 years, prior to filing for the K-1 visa. And, finally, you must have met in person during that 2-year period.

It sounds straightforward, but it usually, is not

For our Greenbelt, Maryland, readers looking to bring their fiancés into the United States, this all probably sounds straightforward. Unfortunately, it is not. The U.S. government will charge outrageous fees and deny your application for any reason they can. They do not want to approve it. This is why many get the help of an immigration attorney to ensure they are prepared for all of the things the government does not put on their website.

10 Best 2016-2017 2 Years Attorney Client Satisfaction | Immigration Law Division | American Institute of Legal Counsel
PFL Personal Family Lawyer | Because Your Family Is Worth It | Your Lawyer For Life
American Immigration Lawyers Association 2019 Member
Expertise Best Immigration Lawyers In Baltimore 2020
Lawyers of Distinction 2021